Frequently Asked Questions About Eyelid Surgery
Many of our patients are surprised to learn that eyelid surgery is even an option; naturally, they have some question about what it entails, what it’s meant to treat, and what makes a good eyelid surgery candidate. We’re always happy to answer these and any other questions in a one-on-one consultation. In the meantime, here are a few of the most common inquiries we get about eyelid surgery, along with some brief answers.
Eyelid Surgery FAQ
- What is eyelid surgery, exactly? Eyelid surgery, which is also called blepharoplasty, involves the removal of excess fat along the upper and/or lower eyelid. In some instances, skin and muscle may also be removed. This is actually one of the most common cosmetic procedures in the entire country; some 50,000 eyelid surgeries are performed in the US each and every year.
- What conditions can be treated by blepharoplasty? Eyelid surgery can correct a number of common cosmetic issues, such as “drooping” upper lids. This is done by removing excess skin to open up the eyes, and in some cases, the effect is more than just aesthetic; it can actually improve peripheral vision. Eyelid surgery can also be used to fix puffy or swollen lower eyelids, leading to a more youthful appearance.
- What’s the success rate for eyelid surgery? The success rate is extremely high—assuming patients have been properly educated about the process and the results. Eyelid surgery won’t make the same dramatic impact as a full facelift, but it can help your eyes to appear much younger, which can, in turn, have a big effect on your overall appearance. Coming in with the right expectations is key, for this or any other cosmetic procedure.
- Can eyelid surgery remove wrinkles and fine lines? Sometimes, the tightening of the skin minimizes some of these wrinkles and “crow’s feet,” but that’s not the primary reason to have this surgery. Some find that their wrinkles subside but some do not.
- Who’s a good candidate for eyelid surgery? If you have droopy or swollen eyelids that you’d like to have corrected, and if you’re in good health generally, you may be a great candidate! Come talk with one of our providers to learn more.
- Can I have eyelid surgery after getting LASIK? Yes—in fact, many of our patients get LASIK and then find that their glasses were concealing droopy eyelids. Such individuals make excellent candidates for this surgery.
- Am I too old or too young for eyelid surgery? There aren’t any hard age restrictions on this procedure, but it’s always good to check with us to ensure you can have the procedure done safely.
- Will I have scars? Most patients don’t have any visible scaring once the healing process is complete. At most, you’ll have an inconspicuous, hairline incision mark, which should be all but invisible. We hope these FAQs help—but if you have additional concerns, we’d love to address them with you. Reach out to Exclusively Faces to schedule a consultation.