Preparing for Laser Hair Removal
The human condition in a nutshell: You lose hair in the places you want it, and you grow hair in the places you don’t want it! That’s certainly the experience many of us have as we age, and thankfully, there are remedies for both sides of this. Here at Exclusively Faces, we’re proud to offer both hair restoration and hair removal services. In this post, we’re going to look specifically at laser hair removal—a simple, quick, and effective way to get rid of the unsightly and unwanted hair on your face or your body. What should patients know about preparing for this procedure? Here are some brief guidelines.
Getting Ready for Laser Hair Removal
- Keep your skin as light as possible. To make sure your laser hair removal is maximally effective, you want your skin to be as light as possible at the time of treatment—and as such, we’d recommend avoiding tanning beds and self-tanning sprays for about a month before your procedure. If you go into the sun, make sure to use sunscreen! (Note that many patients choose to have laser hair removal during the winter months when they’re getting less sun exposure, which is certainly an option.)
- Avoid plucking your hairs. Shaving is fine, but you’ll want to avoid any other forms of at-home hair removal, as they can make your laser treatment less effective. Avoid bleaching the unwanted hair, as well.
- Follow your provider’s orders about shaving. Before the procedure, you’ll receive some specific guidelines about when you should shave the area—usually two or three days before your laser hair removal. To maximize effectiveness but minimize discomfort, you’ll want the follicles to be visible, but not to have long hairs growing.
- Dress appropriately. If possible, wear loose-fitting clothing to your appointment, or clothing that leaves the treatment area exposed.
- Know what to expect. You’ll have a consultation before your appointment, where you’ll be told basically what the treatment will entail; often, it will involve ice rollers for before and after. A technician will explain the treatment again and make you as comfortable as possible. Make sure you ask as many questions as you need to feel totally comfortable with the procedure!
- Ask about post-operative instructions. You’ll also be briefed on what you need to do to keep the treated area clean and to ensure an expedient healing process—but again, don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have about post-op care.
Get Ready for Your Laser Hair Removal
Although it may take multiple treatments, For the vast majority of our patients, laser hair removal is quick, easy, and totally effective, and it can rid you of that stubborn hair that grows in unwanted places. To ensure an optimal experience, make sure you talk with your technician, ask questions, and develop the right expectations. If you have any questions right now or wish to schedule a consultation appointment about laser hair removal, reach out to the Exclusively Faces team today.